If you or someone you know is in crisis, please do not delay seeking help. Most of the services below are available across Wales and in some cases 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

GP or GP Out of Hours Service will be able to help you or the person concerned to get the right help, particularly if you are worried about suicide. Some parts of Wales eg Ceredigion and Llanelli, have ‘open door’ access to crisis services, where anyone can be seen and offered help. There are a lot of services available over the phone or online for people in crisis and these are included below:

Samaritans 24/7 – freephone 116 123
Someone who will listen and help immediately

Did you know that lots of Samaritans branches will see people in person? Search their directory for a branch near you

Samaritans are available round the clock, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. If you need a response immediately, it’s best to call on the phone. You don’t have to be suicidal to call them.

Do you use mental health services?

If you already have access to mental health services eg have a Community Psychiatric Nurse (CPN), a Psychiatrist or see another mental health professional, you might be able to access the local Crisis Team in your area. Call the number provided by your team—this may have a recorded message with another number to call outside working hours.

GP or GP Out of Hours

Your family doctor (GP) is a key point of contact when someone is in crisis, particularly when there is an immediate risk to life. They will know all of the relevant services in your area available day and night and will be best placed to signpost people to the right service for them, outside Monday to Friday 8.00am to 6.30pm (excluding bank and public holidays).

GP Out of Hours Services provides health care for urgent medical problems outside normal surgery hours. In Swansea Bay, Hywel Dda, Powys and Aneurin Bevan Health Board Areas GP Out of Hours services are accessed through 111. For all other areas please use the link.


The Trauma Risk Management (TRiM) Programme is a peer support system designed to identify those at risk of developing a psychological illness as a result of a traumatic event.

TRiM Practitioners have undergone training to allow them to understand the effects that traumatic events can have upon people.

They’re not counsellors or therapists but are there to listen, offer practical advice and signpost to specialist support.

TRiM can be used 48-72 hours after a distressing incident, and participation is completely voluntary.

Email or call 0300 123 9211 for a referral form.

CALL helpline
Text HELP to 81066

CALL is an NHS, free and confidential emotional support and information line for people with mental health and related concerns.

Anyone concerned about their own mental health or that of a relative or friend can access the service.

DAN 24
Drugs and alcohol support

DAN 24/7; is the Wales Drug and Alcohol Helpline. They can offer initial assessment to establish an individual’s needs, referral to local and regional drug and alcohol services, information on drugs and alcohol, and their effects, information and contact details for local GPs, needle exchanges, dentists and other associated health services and a wide range of brief interventions including motivational interviewing, harm reduction and overdose management.

Talk to someone, anyone

It can sometimes be really difficult to talk about your feelings with friends or family. It’s common to feel worried about upsetting people you care about, and feel nervous about what people will think, or how it might affect your relationships.

You may feel more comfortable opening up to friends or family than professionals, or you may find it easier to approach a professional (such as your doctor) first. There’s no right or wrong way round. But the people closest to us can often be a valuable source of support.

Whenever you feel ready, these tips from Mind might help you start the conversation

Occupational Health

Mon- Fri (excluding Bank holidays) 

In house Occupational health remit undertaken in order to support both employees and managers when work might be affecting health. Mangers are able to refer to OH with employee consent and also employees can self-refer to OH.

Wellbeing Support Service

Your Wellbeing Team can provide tailored and specialised, evidence-based information and support to meet your individual needs.  This can include signposting to resources and services for both mental and physical health, including physiotherapy service.

Your Wellbeing Team are available Monday-Friday, 8am-4pm.  No referral necessary, just pick up the phone or send us an email.  Wellbeing is strictly confidential.


Call:  0300 321 4700


Thrive screens for and helps prevent anxiety and depression using NHS approved assessments. ​

Free for all colleagues and immediate family members.​

The app is downloaded onto all Trust iPads, but can be downloaded onto any device from an app store.

Access codes:

Aneurin Bevan University Health Board – WAST21

Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board – WAST22

Cardiff & Vale University Health Board – WAST23

Cwm Taff Morgannwg University Health Board – WAST25

Hywel Dda University Health Board – WAST25

Powys Teaching Health Board – WAST26

Swansea Bay University Health Board – WAST27

Money Helper

MoneyHelper is here to help, so you can move on with life. They provide clear money and pension guidance online and over the phone. They can also point you to trusted services, if you need more support. Money help all in one place, that’s free to use.

Everyday money – Savings – Work & benefits – Homes – Money troubles – Family & care – Pensions & retirement


The information and resources throughout this website are not owned by WAST, but are recognised to be valuable in maintaining and supporting good mental health for our workforce.